Monday, October 11, 2010

The Water is Wide

The last few days have been beautiful, but I have found myself a bit restless. I’ve been exploring my neighborhood and am slowly expanding my territory. I have been going around to parks like Jardin des Plantes and Jardin Luxembourg, and Notre Dame which are all very close to where I live. I sat in the sun yesterday at Jardin Luxembourg and finished The Water is Wide by Pat Conroy, a gift from my CT. “The water is wide” is a good way to describe how far I feel from home right now. I’ve enjoyed myself, but seeing people kissing on park benches all the time is kind of getting to me. Some of them are gross, with their mouths completely open like suckerfish. Bleh. But, some are sweet and it really makes me miss Dave. There are so many things I really want to show him about this city. At least I have time to compile a list of the best things to do before he comes, but it still hurts. He sent me a care package, so now I have my camera finally. He also sent me some Halloween candy and other Halloween stuff to share with my kids at school because they don’t really celebrate Halloween here. I never realized how much I will miss that time of year back home. There are no caramel apples, cider mills, or haunted houses here. Pretty much the only authentic Fall joy that I get to take part in is stepping on crunchy leaves, which I have been doing with reckless abandon to make up for the cider and donuts I’ll be missing out on this year.

Another reason that I am so restless is that I still do not have internet in my room, which makes me feel disconnected not only from home but also from information about Paris, or from my friends here. The family I am working for flew back to the States today because of a family emergency, so it looks like it’ll be a while. I am considering putting a sign on my door that says something like, “Hello neighbors! Have wifi? I’d be willing to pay you to use your network. Inquire within!” There is internet at the family’s apartment but for some reason my computer hates it and refuses to have anything to do with it despite hours of me cajoling and prodding and begging. Hmmph. However, I am able to use their kitchen while they are gone, which is fantastic. I’ve missed cooking.

Tuesday there is a strike scheduled, and I was told that I don’t have to go to school, so I don’t have anything to do except enjoy Paris until orientation on Wednesday.

One thing I have noticed and admire about the French is that they all seem to read quite a bit. When I go running I see them reading on park benches in the sun, on the metro they pull out a book until their stop, they read in cafés while they eat. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that the few televisions I’ve seen here are TINY. Seriously, the kind of thing you see in a college dorm room back home. Either way, I’m not opposed to this equilibrium of entertainment mediums.

Click here to see my photo album of my trip so far. :)



1 comment:

  1. I miss you just as much if not more. I shall eat a caramel apple in your honor. I don't even like them that much cause they get all wedged in my teeth and especially my permanent retainer, but I know how much you love 'em. I also miss your cooking. Glad you're getting to do some. I know how much you've grown to love it, and how great you've become at it.
    Good luck with orientation. Hope you make it there okay. Have fun. Enjoy all the reading. That actually sounds very inspiring. It'd be nice to take an almost forced break from television and just absorb books. Love your blog, but even more-so I love you.

    ReplyDelete