Sunday, September 26, 2010

Let them drink Leffe

The lady whose apartment we have been staying at came home today, and the date that my apartment will be ready keeps getting pushed back. I am excited to have my own shower but I am tired of squatting.

PARIS LESSON # 3: NOTHING HAPPENS IN A TIMELY MANNER.

I was supposed to see my friends Jean and Antoine on the weekend anyway so I figured I would see if one of them had any ideas for a temporary place to stay. Jean was my language partner when he studied at Grand Valley, and he introduced me to Antoine last summer. I could always check into a hostel, but I’d really rather not pay if I could help it. I got a text back from Antoine saying “You are welcomed at Jean’s house tonight!” and was very relieved. We took a train to Versailles and Maja grabbed dinner while we waited. My appetite has been really weird since I got here; sometimes I only eat one meal a day because I’m just not hungry. They came and then they took us to a bar and we each enjoyed a Leffe beer. As Jean says, “It is not Budweiser!” It’s a very tasty beer that really packs a punch. I’m surprised I can even taste the difference because at home I have no palate for beer whatsoever, but I can tell Leffe is good beer. We had a great time catching up and they ran into a friend from high school who apparently plays in a heavy metal band. The idea of a French heavy metal band cracks me up. Jean is dating a very sweet girl who was in France with my study abroad group last summer. It’s always nice to talk to other people who are going through long distance relationships because they understand what it is like.

We took Maja back to the train station and then we returned to Jean’s house. His brother gave up his bed for me! I felt so bad, I had no idea I was taking someone else’s room. It was so sweet of him, and he seemed genuinely happy to do it. I am so grateful. It is a relief to be with people I know and feel comfortable after the week I had. I feel so lucky to have French friends! Anyway, Jean is probably about to get up and I should go meet the rest of the family. J

**Update**

Jean’s parents are so nice! They served a traditional French breakfast. I had café au lait and toast with “Gelée de coing” or in English, quince jelly. I have no idea what quince is, but it was delicious. His mom even showed me a picture of one, but I don’t think we have them in the states…do we? She said it’s like a pear but harder. It was really good anyway. His dad is a big Bob Dylan fan and spoke English with me. Being in a home with a family makes me feel so happy.

We went to lunch with Antoine. We have all decided that to help our language skills that I will speak in French and they will answer in English so we all get some practice. I feel very comfortable speaking with them because they know what it is like to learn another language. That was the most French I have spoken so far, and it felt good. We played a really fun vocabulary game after we ate. For example, Jean would draw an airplane, and whoever said the word for it in their non-native language first got 2 points, and if they other person knew it they got one point. If you didn’t know it at all you got zero points. So, if I said “avion” first I’d get two points, if Antoine then said “plane” he got one. It might not sound fun, but there are always little miscommunications or strange translations that crack me up. I lost horribly but it really helped refresh my memory of some French vocabulary. I am constantly impressed with how good their English is. They have both spent a decent amount of time in English speaking countries, so maybe there is hope for me after all. J

Jean is leaving for a business trip very early tomorrow, so now he is resting and I am snuggled under a blanket in my temporary bed soaking up this free internet like crazy. He also left me some movies to watch in French. J It is a perfect lazy Sunday in Versailles. I hope I can move into my room soon…

1 comment:

  1. God I love hearing about your trip. I'm so excited and happy for you. You always surround yourself with great people. Can't wait to hear what happens next.

    ReplyDelete