Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Je suis à Paris!

Whew! After an 11 hour plane ride, I finally made it! Leaving Dave was brutal, but I've had some good signs recently and it makes me feel very positive. :) We didn't get to the panicking point this time, we just really enjoyed our time together instead of trying to cram in too much before I left.

I really dug my airline, Air Tahiti Nui. We were served two meals, dinner and breakfast which they woke us up for at 6 AM Paris time! I got served before everyone else because I'm vegetarian. It must be because we're so weak from the lack of protein ;)

To pass the time I watched Robot Chicken's Star Wars episodes, Kung Fu Panda (that movie always makes me want to eat the noodles), and (don't judge me...I couldn't sleep) Sex and the City 2.

I was glad that I had a window seat for once when we were approaching the Paris skyline and I saw the Eiffel Tower over the horizon. I couldn't stop smiling. This thing that I've been planning for over a year is FINALLY happening.

Maja found me immediately as I walked out with my bags, and we recognized each other right away. I found out her name is pronounced like "Maya." That's going to take some adjusting because I've been pronouncing it wrong this whole time...lol. We took a cab to the apartment that she's staying at because it was WAY easier than the metro with seven months worth of baggage. Get this: the lady that she is apartment sitting for has free unlimited calling to the U.S.!!!!! I called Dave and my parents right away. It is so different from when I flew into London alone, didn't know a soul and stayed in a tiny hotel room with outrageous rates to call home. I feel so much more at ease with everyone just a phone call away, and a non rushed phone call at that. The apartment is wonderful. The shower looks like a time machine, and there are like 8 different water dispensers that spray you from 8 different directions, and then there are combinations of these. I will take a picture and post it when I can. Unreal.

After touching base with home, I slept (extremely hard) for a few hours, and then Maja and I went and got food and ate it by the Eiffel Tower, grabbed some groceries, and now we are sitting in the most stereotypical Parisian cafe with the most stereotypical Parisian music playing to use the internet because the wifi (pronounced "wee-fee" over here) isn't working.

The jet lag is setting in. Tune in next time for a more exciting update!

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking at airfares with Air Tahiti right now. Lack of protein notwithstanding, you are one brave and sexy girl for following your dreams. I'm so proud of you. It feels like your dream has become mine, and I long to have my own window seat and gaze at that monumental tower, mainly because it means I'm close to you.
    Thanks for calling me right away. It's been hard sleeping without you here. And I remember when you called me from London and wound up paying like sixty bucks. It's so much better this time around. Hurry up and post some pics already. I'm dying to see what Hot Shower Time Machine looks like. Is Chevy Chase the repair man?
    Have the time of your life, and know that I love you like breathing. Je t'aime.

    ReplyDelete