Friday, February 18, 2011

My Big Fat Greek Blog Post (Part 1)

Maja and I flew from Paris to Athens on Valentine's Day (Sorry, Dave!). Our flight was out of Paris Orly, which is a ways outside of the city, and our flight was at six A.M., so we had the bright idea of sleeping at the airport. It is a tiny airport, and to our surprise actually shut down at night. They actually turned the lights off at night. The chairs looked deceivingly comfortable at the start, but quickly proved to be the opposite. They felt like you were sitting in a cupped giant's hand, but they were bolted to the ground so you were lucky if you found two that would face each other so you could rest your head and feet. Then the problem was that your butt would sink down in between the chairs. I propped my derriere up with my suitcase, but it made sleeping nearly impossible. There I was with my body folded up like a lawn chair talking to Maja in the dark when I saw a mouse scurry across the floor, backlit by an airport advertisement. Then, a guy a few chairs away chimed in with a loud, gurgling snore. Let's just say it was one of the worst nights of sleep I've ever gotten.

It was all worth it when we arrived in Athens and felt the warmth of the sun on our skin.

We found our way to the bus, and spent the 45 minute bus ride taking in Greece for the first time. My first impression was that it actually reminded me of LA. Palm trees, lots of people, graffiti, and beautiful weather. The biggest difference was that there are stray cats and dogs all over the place. My Athens host later told us that you see that where civilization is breaking down. How ironic for the birthplace of our civilization.

We found the port where our ferry would be leaving for Crete later that evening, and spent the day lazily wandering around near Pireaus like zombies, eating cheese pies, drinking Freddo cappuccino, and enjoying the coast.

As the sun started to set we made our way down to the port. When I saw the boat for the first time, I couldn't believe it. It looked like a mini cruise ship! As we waited nearby for the boat to open, we endured street sellers coming by every two minutes with the same neon colored plastic needle threader you saw two minutes before as if to say, "Well yes you've already seen this, but mine is better. Just wait until you see this!" and pulling the threaded needle out with a flourish.

The boat was finally ready, and we boarded. I was surprised to see that our "deck" seats were actually pretty much airplane seats. I figured it couldn't have been worse than the sleep we got the night before anyway. Before the boat sailed we wandered around it, exploring the decks, and making a lot of Titanic references. We both wanted to stay awake to watch the boat take off, but we were both fast asleep by then. Until about half an hour later when a couple with a baby sat two rows in front of us. "MAMAAAAAAA! PAPAAAAAAAAAA!" The excruciating cries permeated my earplugs. "What do you want, kid? They're right there!" I thought. Forty-five minutes later, I was about to lose my mind. I had tried to reinsert my earplugs so many times they lost their elasticity and it was like trying to shove Play-Doh into my ear canals, doing nothing to stop the sound.

After 48 hours of no sleep, I wasn't messing around anymore. We moved to the other side of the ship, finally getting some shut eye. We saw an older couple who had staked out a big area of floor and set up a little makeshift bed, pillows and everything. We decided to follow their lead and stretched out on the floor. As I fell asleep Hercules (yes, the old Kevin Sorbo show!) was playing on the T.V.'s mounted above our seats. How fitting.

When we arrived on Crete it was still pitch black outside. We were offered some of the best fresh squeezed orange juice I've ever had as we disembarked. Our host, Antonis, had given me directions on which bus to take to his place. I struggled to keep my eyes open as we made our way through a sleepy Greek town on the quiet bus. Antonis had said he would meet us at the bus station, despite the ungodly hour. His message read: "I really don't mind being waken up (simply, some people do, some do not) :-).”

I really hoped that was true as I called him at 5:15 A.M. "Good morning! It's Kelly!" I said. "We're at the bus station, near Nescafe!" He laughed and said "No, no, don't buy anything! I have stuff here! See you in a minute!" in his fantastic Greek accent.

In about two minutes we saw a young man with long hair striding into the bus station from an entrance opposite us and flounce past us. "You think that's him?" I asked Maja. "Probably." She said. We were too tired to make an effort to find out. Sure enough, in a minute he was back and marching toward us. He had long hair, glasses, and a broad smile. The walk back to his apartment is a blur but I remember being thrilled that he wanted to go back to sleep for a few hours too.

Then, I awoke to the smell of chocolate. Antonis was making breakfast. "Who was sneezing earlier?" He asked. I raised my hand guiltily. The dry air on the ferry had aggravated my allergies. "Do you think you can survive cold milk?" He asked. I laughed.

We ate breakfast and chatted. Antonis is one of the coolest people I have ever met. He is an engineering student, and was born on Crete. He takes Cretan dance classes (although he wouldn't show us his moves!), is a member of a mountaineering club, and somehow knows how everything works or is made. He was a fountain of knowledge about his culture. After breakfast there was a knock on the door, and Antonis told me to answer it. As I pulled it open his friend Alexandros literally jumped into the room. He was what I told him we call in English a "spaz" after being around him for about five minutes. He had the attention span of a three year old and the energy of someone who just drank twelve cups of coffee. And I quickly learned he was always hungry as he raided Antonis's kitchen for our breakfast leftovers.

So our unlikely group set off on a tour of downtown Chania. They told us it only rains there about ten days a year and that day happened to be one of them. They led us through the tightly packed streets past palm trees, stray animals, through windy walkways through beautiful buildings and down to the sea and showed us the lighthouse and what Antonis called the "unimpressive" fountain at the center of the main square. After a tour of the Naval Museum, we went to the grocery store to get ingredients for a lunch they wanted to cook for us. I had told Antonis that I am a vegetarian but I would eat whatever he made to experience Greek culture. In the grocery store he handed me a huge sausage and said "This is for you, my dear!" and walked away laughing.

He told me that actually most traditional Greek food is vegetarian, which was nice for me, but if I left Greece without eating Souvlaki (basically a meat stick) that I would be laughed at. By whom, I have no idea.

I asked if I could get wine to go with the meal, and Antonis picked up a carton of red table wine. "Despite its packaging, it's the best wine here." He said. Maja and I looked at each other doubtfully, especially after reading the container, which said "Party's wine."

Then we went over to Alex's dorm, which was bigger and nicer than any American dorm I've ever been in. On the way over, we passed a bus stop that was crowded with students. Antonis told us that the bus doesn't run very often so people will pick up students on their way back into town, like a big hitchhiking collective.

As we were going up the stairs we were almost knocked over by a furry yellow torpedo. It was Gilmour (named after the Pink Floyd drummer), Alex's dog. Who was basically Alex in dog form: a constantly hungry spaz.

Maja and I played with Gilmour and chatted with Antonis and Alex as they made us a Greek meal. They wouldn't let us help at all. Which I have to admit was a nice change of pace. I like that in a lot of European cultures it is not considered a "feminine" thing to enjoy cooking.

They served us a giant salad with tomatoes, cucumber, tons of delicious Greek cheese, anise, and a hard brown bread. They also made scrambled eggs with lots of veggies, and cheese and veggie stuffed mushrooms. It was to die for. I was surprised when we all sat down and Alex just started digging into the salad bowl with his fork. They told us that in Greece you just kind of ...go for it. Which was actually really fun. I'm not normally very into salads but that might have been the best one I've ever had.

Later, Antonis had a mountaineering club meeting, so Maja and I wandered down by the coast. The sea breeze felt so good as we walked along the glassy black water and gazed at the lighthouse illuminated on the horizon. We stopped in a restaurant right on the water, and I had my first Greek yogurt experience. The waiter brought my plate of thick, creamy (they don't mess around with low fat yogurt over here) white goodness, drenched in gooey honey. It was one of the best things I have ever eaten in my life.

Antonis met us after his meeting and took us to a cool little Greek bar. I mean literally tiny. It was like a really chic cave with great music (Beatles!), and packed to the gills with Greeks. And almost all of them were dancing. Despite being almost pushed up against the door we had a fantastic time trying Cretan beer and dancing with Antonis's mountaineer friends.

The next morning Antonis announced that he wanted us to try a traditional Cretan breakfast. He served us Greek coffee, yogurt with honey (he even sprinkled a little cocoa on top!), and spoon sweets. They are made with figs or with the rinds of an orange like fruit found in Greece. They are boiled in sugar and served with honey. "I prefer a fork." Antonis said, digging in. As we ate he explained how olive oil is made. He was so knowledgable!

Antonis had some things to catch up on so Maja and I set off on our own. It wasn't raining, and the sun felt like heaven on our skin. We got overly excited and even wore sandals. When Antonis saw what I was wearing he squeezed my arm and laughed saying, "You look like a summer tourist!" He was right, judging by the looks we got from the locals that day. But, it was sixty degrees and after Paris it was summer as far as we were concerned.

We went back down to the coast to see it in good weather. I fell in love with Greece that day. The sun, the vast blue sea, the green palm trees, the lazy dogs and cats, and the friendly people made it an unforgettable experience. We walked past fishermen and out to the lighthouse, with the sea breeze whipping through our hair and the sun on our skin. We made our way down the beach and walked in the cold water and felt the sand between our toes.

For lunch we ate right on the water. We found a restaurant with tables on a dock jutting out into the sea. It was perfect. Until we forgot that cuttlefish is actually squid and not fish, and our lunch had a whole lot of squiggly little legs. Luckily there were a lot of stray cats around to feed the legs to. :) I have to admit the squid was pretty good though, once I got past the slightly rubbery texture. The waiter gave us a shot of some locally produced liquor and we were on our way.

On the way back I stopped to get some snacks for our ferry back to Athens that night. When we got back to Antonis's, Alex yanked the door open and immediately seized my shopping bag. "What did you get? Is it for me?" He pulled out a bag of banana chips. "I LOVE these things! Can I open them?" Yep, pretty much a dog in a human body.

Then Antonis, Alex, and his girlfriend came with us to wait for the bus we would take to the ferry. Alex was quizzing us on the Greek words he had taught us. "And the word for sorry?" He asked. I recited it like a parrot. His girlfriend started laughing. "That does not mean sorry!" She exclaimed. "Shhhh!" he said, but it was too late. Turns out they taught us to say a really vulgar word instead, the equivalent of “f*** off!” in English. Lovely. Good thing we found out before we got to Athens and tried to apologize for stepping on a stranger's foot or something!

When the bus came Antonis said "I hate goodbyes." He gave us each a hug and strode off. After five years of a long distance relationship I appreciate his style. I hate goodbyes. I could have stayed on Crete much longer. After only two days I felt like I had known Antonis forever. Maja and I were talking about how we wished Antonis was our cousin or something so we could be guaranteed to see him at family functions at least. I will really miss his unique personality.


For my readers' sake, this is going to be a two parter to avoid you going cross-eyed. And I actually know what it's like to be cross-eyed. You're welcome. To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. No worries on the missing of the Valentine's Day. I drank bottle after bottle of champagne that night with all the single folk. Fantastic read as always. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i heard that crete had an earthquake this week.
    i hope your friend is ok.

    ReplyDelete